This is my shed/workshop/studio the main reason I voted for this house when we were looking to move from our old house, was the shed.

I have admitted this to my wife, before anyone thinks of grassing me up and getting me into trouble. It is 8ft x 12ft and is very well built of 3/8ths tongue and groove, the small shed at the back is garden tools and wood seasoning. The people we bought the house off bred hamsters, the back shed was the nursery and the main shed was living quarters. It was a bit smelly for the first few months but it wore off.

This is the entrance, most of you will have seen the signs my son and grandsons got me for Christmas.

View from the door, my lathe is a Nova 16-24-44 which I am very pleased with. I added a Speed Genie 3-4 years ago which made it variable speed and is even better now. I have thought of trying to set it on concrete but I don't get too much problem with movement. I would like an American Beauty lathe, but in the meantime this will do, I suppose I would like a 20mx40m workshop for it to go in, but life is what it is!!

My tool rack is a variation on an idea I got from Ian F. It is on casters that came from a vegetable rack that I rescued from a skip, it just rolls around. The tray in the vise is another idea I got from Ian, it holds pencils, rulers etc. plus the slots hold my abrasives, they are in numbered order so I know which one I am using, with out having to look at the back.

The scroll saw normally lives under the bench, but I got it out to do the chucking circles for the idea I got from Chris Fisher, which was in one of the earlier newsletters. I decided to leave it out, as I am limiting my time on the lathe until I work a way of disposing of the shavings, as the local council has suspended garden waste collection where I normally put them. Work on the scroll saw or the band saw only produces a bit of sawdust which is easy to deal with.

On the bench behind me when I am standing at the lathe, is my sharpening kit and my drill press. The strange arrangement with the record wet wheel is because I found that for some reason, unlike the other grinder, if I have it on the bench it is too high. I treated myself to the Record at Harrogate last year and I am finding it difficult to make full use of it. I thought I would just be able to turn round and refresh an edge without taking too much metal off each time. But, I find it takes a lot longer to set up than the dry grinder, it is probably me, but I don't get as consistent a grind as I do with the Wolverine jig. I think I need to play about with it a bit more.

I got the idea for storing my abrasives from one of these sort of articles that used to appear in the Woodturning magazine some years back. The guy had cut a slot in the tube (35mm water/waste pipe) and hung them up on a bit of string. It didn't work for me so I came up with this alternative, it works ok apart from 80/120 strips have to be halved as they are too thick to go in at the 1m length. I keep my sanding discs in the jars, but I keep meaning to re-think this as they are difficult to get out when they are near the bottom. I keep the ones I am using on a velcro strip on the shelf under the lathe, I just put them on and take them off in order.

 

Just as an aside talking plastic pipe, if you are a household with lots of charging leads, just cut about 75mm of pipe wrap the lead round you hand and stuff it in the bit of pipe, saves them coming out of the drawer in a huge tangle. The pipe I use for this is 45mm, but the 35mm should work I think.

The odd blocks are for measuring the stick out for my Wolverine jig. I used to use the standard 2in, or was it 2/12in but I saw someone on the web who said it was easier and quicker to alter the stick out distance than keep altering the angle of the leg depending on which gouge is being used.

The jig on the grinder table is another idea I got from Youtube. I had something like this for sharpening my skew, but I could never get a consistent bevel because my skew is oval and kept rocking one way or the other. I saw an American (it had to be) on Youtube and he had cut a groove in the jig for his skew to sit in. I tried this but couldn't get it to work, so I tried glueing bits of garden wire to the jig surface to stop the skew rocking, it works for me. The triangular block in the middle gives the skew angle and can be made to suit your personal preference. I lock the jig to the table with a small G clamp. On normal wheels the jig is slid side to side over the stone to even out the ware. The white strip at the top of the jig is a bit of plastic that sits over the top of the table to enable this. However,with the CBN wheel which doesn't alter shape, I don't need to do this.

So, this is my shed, I hope that it has filled in a few minutes of your time and hasn't caused too much hilarity and maybe given someone an idea or two. The observant among you, will have noticed I obeyed Carl's instructions and didn't do a lot of tidying up. So come on then, I have stuck my head above the parapet, lets have a few more.

If you have enjoyed this or anything else in the newsletter, please let Carl know, he is putting a lot of effort into this and any ideas for future editions would be helpful. But also, if you have any comments about how the newsletter could be improved, let Carl know, he is more than happy to accept comments and suggestions.

Lastly, I remember reading a book review in the Woodturning, for a book titled “Small American Workshops” which looked at ideas for setting up said small workshops. The reviewer pointed out that the average footprint of the small American workshops was (I can't remember the exact figures) something like 75 square metres, and the footprint of the average British house was something like 80 square metres!!

img_0404
img_0405
img_0406
img_0408
img_0409
img_0412
img_0413
img_0414
img_0416
img_0417
img_0419
img_0420